SANET for Schools
The aim of the project „SANET for Schools“ is to expand the infrastructure of academic data network SANET from the current academic and research centers – a total of 23 locations in Slovakia to other cities Seat offices – a total of 54 new network nodes. The project concerns the creation of high-speed optical infrastructure, does not address the issue of content or people – users of a network of pupils and teachers.
Due to the scope of work will several universities cooperate in the project with experience in implementing similar to SANET II project, which will contribute in particular to the organization and management of the process of establishing network nodes in selected cities as well as organizational and consulting assistance in connecting schools. These activities will be funded universities under agreed terms and conditions on the basis of contracts concluded (ZoD). Coordinator and principal investigator of the project „SANET for Schools“ is an association of users Slovak academic data network SANET. To ensure the implementation of the project is expected to conclude agreements with the following institutions: the issue of content or people – users of a network of pupils and teachers.
Universities, school computer centers and workplaces SAS headquarters existing nodes of SANET network in the regions as follows:
- Bratislava region– Slovak University of Technology – Computer Center and Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Trnava region– Slovak University of Technology – Materials Science and school computer center in Piešťany
- Trenčin region– University in Trenčín – Center for Computer Science and Engineering and the Faculty of Industrial Technologies in Púchov
- Nitra region– Slovak Agricultural University – Information and Communication Technologies
- Žilina region– University in Žilina – Department of Information and Communication Technology Jaseniova’s Faculty of Medicine in Martin
- Banská Bystrica region– Matej Bel’s University –Institute of Applied Communication and Technical University – Center of Information Technologies in Zvolen
- Prešov region– University in Prešov – Center for Information and Communication technlogy, Astronomical Institute in T. Lomnica and Technical University of Kosice – Institute of Computer Technology
- Košice region– P.J. Šafárik’s University – Center for Information and Communication technlogy and school computer centers in Michalovce
The existing optical backbone infrastructure SANET network with a transmission capacity of 10 Gbps to 23 connected towns will add new nodes. Such infrastructure, comparable only with world leaders, with reasonable reserves able to cover more substantial increase in the current level of data rates that the connection method of tens of thousands of computers connected to the secondary schools.
New anticipated SANET network nodes (total 54):
- Bratislava region – Malacky, Pezinok, Senec – 3 new nodes
- Trnava region – Dunajská Streda, Galanta, Senica, Hlohovec, Skalica – 5 new nodes
- Trenčín region– Bánovce nad Bebravou, Nové mesto nad Váhom, Myjava, Považská Bystrica Partizánske, Ilava – 6 new nodes
- Nitra region– Komárno (pripojenie je pláne v r.2007), Levice, Zlaté Moravce, Šaľa, Topolčany Nové Zámky, Štúrovo, – 7 new nodes
- Žilina region– Čadca, Dolný Kubín, Turčianske Teplice, Námestovo, Tvrdošín, Bytča, Kysucké Nové Mesto – 7 new nodes
- Banská Bystrica region – Brezno, Lučenec, Poltár, Rimavská Sobota, Revúca, Žiar nad Hronom, Banská Štiavnica, Žarnovica, Veľký Krtíš, Detva, Krupina – 11 new nodes
- Prešov region – Bardejov, Humenné, Medzilaborce, Snina, Kežmarok, Poprad, Levoča, Sabinov, Stará Ľubovňa, Stropkov, Svidník, Vranov nad Topľov – 12 new nodes
- Košice region – Rožňava, Spišská Nová Ves, Gelnica, Moldava nad Bodvou, Sobrance – 5 new nodes
When the project elaboration, you can add or reduced significantly some cities – cities with new nodes as possible providers of optical fibers. Condition for the establishment of the aforementioned new nodes SANET is proposed in schools in which to be set up a new network node, possess the appropriate personnel security, able to professionally perform all necessary actions node. This condition without reservation satisfies high schools, in which it is established and operates Cisco Networking Academy. These schools are in 17 new nodes. This number will need to be complemented by secondary schools that are active in the project Infovek or MS academy and are interested in becoming a network nodes san.
Typical technical equipment of a new network node:
- Connection panel for the location of the long distance optical path (a pair of leased optical fiber connecting to the backbone node)
- Ethernet switch (Nx100Mbps ports with Gigabit uplink), including SW
- Optical converters
- Uninterruptible power supply + air conditioning
The connection of the nodes to the backbone network as well as to the end-schools will be realized as all connections of the switched Ethernet technology.
The project envisages the connection of all High Schools, Secondary Vocational Schools and Associated Secondary Schools together with 515 schools (some of which are already connected in cities where there are current nodes of the network) and those primary schools whose connection will be logical given the proximity to the optical routes in cities of newly established nodes.
A prerequisite for the connection of the school is that they show interest and effort to obtain a connection (optical connection) and they will be willing to participate at least in the future financing of the operation of the node (these would be symbolic amounts of about 1.5-3 thousand SKK per month for 100 Mbps). This requirement excludes schools where the level of management does not correspond to modern requirements and the optical connection would still be unused. In addition, libraries, district offices, municipalities, hospitals, museums and other organizations qualifying for SANET could be connected to new node nodes. All affiliated organizations must become members of the SANET Association in order to meet the requirement that the Association does not provide public services and must adhere to the „SANET Rules of Use“ (AUP – www.sanet.sk) the condition of allowing access to the Internet for leisure and the wider public.
Co-ordination Board of the „SANET do škôl“
The members of the management of the „SANET do škôl“ project
- Prof. Ing. Pavol Horváth, CSc. – the chairman of the Board of Directors of SANET, STU Bratislava
- Ing. Miroslav Bórik JLF UK MT
- Ing. Marián Ďurkovič STU BA
- RNDr. Ľuboš Elias UAKOM UMB BB
- Doc. Ing. Martin Chovanec, PhD. TU KE
- RNDr. Emil Hutňan UPJŠ KE
- Ing. Pavol Podhora ÚVT ŽU
- RNDr. Peter Škrovina SPU NR
- Ing. Tibor Weis TU ZV
- Overview of cost for connecting schools to the SANET optical network by 31.12.2014
- Overview of cost for connecting to the SANET optical network by 31.12.2013
- Overview of costs for connecting to the SANET optical network by 31.12.2012
- Overview of costs for connecting to the SANET optical network by 31.12.2011
- Overview of costs for connecting to the SANET optical network by 31.12.2010